Riu and Apple
Vacation Quote systems Bottom of Page

Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in
Riu Hotels & Resort
The time now is Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:18 pm
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Riviera Nayarit - Puerto Vallarta (Mexico) » Riu Vallarta (Questions / Info)
RIU JALISCO / VALLARTA
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
Riu Rusty
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jobs: Riu Gallery, Riu Birthday, Riu Fan, New Review, Canadian Tire Money Donator, Riu Nominator, The Riu Player, Moderate and Administrate

4417085528 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Blog

Items
more...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:   RIU JALISCO / VALLARTA Reply with quote

Well I’m back :(

Hey Folks, I’m back and I thought Id share some of my thoughts on the resort.

Large well maintained resort. The lobby has a very modern look, lots of grays and purple....... a stark contrast to the Riu Vallarta which looks more like a palace, lots of wood and cast iron. I like the palace look, but my girlfriend like the Riu Jalisco look better Laughing Subjective Laughing

Our Riu Jalisco wrist bands (Although different colours that the Riu Vallarta) did give us free access to that resort for everything but dinner (Bars, pools, restaurants) Etc.

The food was ok, Again, not palace food....... but there was lots of it.

The staff were great.

Lots of action at the pool, lots of sports, much more party atmosphere than a palace. Which I like better :)

Rock-in music at the pool, and mostly rockin roll and some Reggie...... which was awesome....... not really into the "riu song" over and over Laughing

Puerto Vallarta...... yes I went but it's far from the resort.... Maybe 30 mins cab/taxi ride. I negotiated to 200 peso's about $15-$17..... Most wanted $25 Laughing but I stood firm :)

Puerto Vallarta was nice, kinda like Playa Del Carmen.... A nice boardwalk on the beach with shops and bars. lots of people. the street was blocked off to cars (like Playa Del Carmen)...... I do like PDC better, but again subjective. I didn’t like the long cab ride.

There was a town called bucerias. It only cost 85 Pesos and you were there in 8-10 mins. Really cool town, a large market for clothing, silver, stuff Laughing There were shops too and some really cool bar right on the beach. And in stark contrast to Puerto Vallarta (where beer would cost us $5USDea) the bucerias beach bars would serve me a bucket of 6 SOL beer for 100 Pesos ($7-$8) for 6 beers!! There was live music there, but the market seemed to close at 6:00pm ish.

OK money exchange. Do NOT take USD's unless you exchange them into peso's. The resort will NOT exchange them and the locals are still using 10/1 not 14/1 as it should be. The resort "MAY" change your USD (Unofficially for 10/1) but they will officially convert Canadian dollars at 10/1........ so no point in converting and getting rocked by the bank, and then getting rocked again when you get down there. Most cabs, shops and bars took Canadian money. So, just take Canadian money and exchange at the front desk or Take USD and exchange at somewhere official (I’m should the Americans on this site can tell you where to go).

OK, Back to the resorts. Riu Vallarta in one resort over, we did notice than the riu Jaliaso was a much much bigger property than the Riu Vallarta, and I liked the extra grounds to roam great for strolling. The pools were similar..... the Riu Vallarta was furnished more like the palaces, the Riu Jalisco was more like a club hotel (Modern). The rooms at the Riu Jalisco were renovated and nice, but small. Not like the Riu Jalisco and the Riu Palaces with the sitting area in the room. They had 42” Flat Screen TV's and we took our PS4 (PlayStation 4) for the kids to use at night and it's worked great, as the TV’s have HDMI inputs :).

WIFI / INTERNET Well, it's been 2 years since I have been to a RIU and my last recollection was that we all had free wifi only in the lobby and it was dial-up wifi...... Well, things have changed since then. We ordered a week internet package for (650 pesos's) or $65.00USD or $65.00CAD LOLOL and that would get you 7 days of unlimited wifi anywhere in the resort! Even the pool area!! Your can have 4 people using it at the same time, so if you have 5 people, then one will have to wait until the one other disconnects. SO, put your phone on “Airplane mode” and turn your wifi on and surf and email away Laughing.

The internet is fast to, My kids were streaming with no problem. And if you have 2 rooms, no problem, the wifi is not assigned to a room, so we had 2 rooms, 5 people and 1 wifi account. Worked perfectly. Not one issue. The only rule for the kids was to “KEEP THEIR PHONES on AIRPLANE MODE”, and they were fine with that. They were always skyping (Video Calling) their friends back in Canada. No problem.

PDC (Playa Del Carmen) or Vallarta. I like PDC better because of the closeness to town and the exterior walks from the resorts which is a few years away for Nuevo Vallarta. We did walk out side the resort to the Riu Vallarta, through the riu vallarta to the beach then beach walk back to Riu Jalisco.

Entertainment. Ice been to many a Riu and I was happy to see some live professional entertainers (Really good) not Riu Staff Lip Syncing Laughing This was really nice to see.

Disappointments..... My only disappointment was that the dinners had no apparent dress code. Men in flop flops, tshirts, board shorts, very few dressed and most were wearing beach attire. The rules that they hand out say “Men long pants and long sleeve shirts and no sandals, but, no enforcement what so ever and so many people were saying that they packed dress cloths because they had read it, and only warn them the first night and felt silly and converted to shorts and sandals for the rest of the trip. I stayed true to their rules, but there were only a handful of followers.

OK, so My final view on this vacation …... we, it was awesome. We met some wonderful people, we partied, I had a beer or 2 lolololol and maybe ate too much. Great staff, Good resort, Large and you stay very connected if you wish and the pools were so warm...... usually they are soooo cold.

I would recommend this resort and would rank it some where in the middle of all the RIU's I have been to. Over all 5Stars.
Riu Merengue 2003 Riu Yucatan 2005 Riu Cancun 2005 Riu Palace Mexico 2005 Riu Bachata 2006 Riu Palace Macao 2006 Riu Bambu 2006 Riu Palace Riviera Maya 2007 Riu Tequila 2007 Riu Palace Riviera Maya 2011 Riu Palace Mexico 2011 Riu Jalisco 2015
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Rainbow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jobs: Riu Birthday, Riu Fan, Riu Gallery, Cut & paste Review, Canadian Tire Money Donator, Riu Nominator, The Riu Player, Moderate and Administrate, Riully great cookie maker

147458012 Bachata Bucks
1003815250 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...thanks rusty, this was fun to read...and thanks for the info on USD...appreciate it... Good bye
Riu Rusty
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jobs: Riu Gallery, Riu Birthday, Riu Fan, New Review, Canadian Tire Money Donator, Riu Nominator, The Riu Player, Moderate and Administrate

4417085528 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Blog

Items
more...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I had no idea that your front desk can't legally by law convert usd to pesos. :(
Riu Merengue 2003 Riu Yucatan 2005 Riu Cancun 2005 Riu Palace Mexico 2005 Riu Bachata 2006 Riu Palace Macao 2006 Riu Bambu 2006 Riu Palace Riviera Maya 2007 Riu Tequila 2007 Riu Palace Riviera Maya 2011 Riu Palace Mexico 2011 Riu Jalisco 2015
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Rainbow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jobs: Riu Birthday, Riu Fan, Riu Gallery, Cut & paste Review, Canadian Tire Money Donator, Riu Nominator, The Riu Player, Moderate and Administrate, Riully great cookie maker

147458012 Bachata Bucks
1003815250 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riu Rusty wrote:
Ya, I had no idea that your front desk can't legally by law convert usd to pesos. :(

...yes, that changed a couple of years ago...there are limits to the amount of USD that an organization/individual may deposit into mexican banks...at least that is my interpretation of why the restrictions were placed... :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Riviera Nayarit - Puerto Vallarta (Mexico) » Riu Vallarta (Questions / Info)
Jump to: